a strategic board level management report
ASSIGNMENT I – MANAGEMENT REPORT
For this assignment you are required to assume the role of a strategy consultant to your current company (or one that you have worked for in the past) and prepare a strategic board level management report on the company’s key competitive strategic issues addressing the following questions:
1. Using appropriate academic models and concepts identify and discuss the main internal and external factors that have affected the chosen organisation and influenced the strategies it has employed to date. (30%)
2. Looking forwards, and again using suitable strategy models where appropriate, critically assess whether the organisation’s current strategies offer a good fit between the its resources and capabilities and the evolving external environment, identifying whether there are any areas of opportunity or risk that need to be addressed by senior management? (40%)
3. As a result of your previous analysis, identify at least two strategic options for the organization, and make recommendations to the senior management about which one of these strategies it would be best to follow, supported by your reasons and commenting on how you would implement this single strategy. (30%)
Word Count: 2,500 words
(+ – 10% excluding cover and contents pages and appendices)
Deadline: to be advised on a cohort by cohort basis
1. Support will be given by your tutor to help you prepare for this assignment during the workshop.
2. In order to answer these questions you must prepare a separate Appendix (maximum 750 words and 2 pages) providing some basic information about the organisation – eg products/services, markets served, number of employees, financial information etc
3. You encouraged to undertake independent research to gather key market data. You must only use material drawn from credible sources such as: academic articles and texts; quality newspaper and business periodicals, e.g., the FT, The Economist.