- Each student will prepare a 12 to 20-page research paper formulated around the subject of one of the listed topics. Each student will research and write a paper that is due in its entirety in the final module for this course.
Bureaucracy and Democracy
Administrative procedure Act
Other topics approved by Faculty Mentor
At a minimum, the paper should follow the following format. This is only a guide. The student is encouraged to be creative with the research project. The format for the research project will adhere to the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA).
RESEARCH PAPER FORMAT
Table of Contents
Discussion of the topic’s use in today’s business world
In formulating the analysis, the student will be required to do some outside research to support the history, importance, criticism, and analysis. It is expected that the reference section will contain with no fewer than ten (10) sources that must be utilized throughout the body of the paper (at least 10 in-text citations). The sources must be obtained from textbooks, articles, books, etc. which may be obtained from HU Library. General web references, such as commercial sites and Wikipedia are not acceptable. Any paper which is not properly formatted, referenced, or does not comply with APA guidelines will not be accepted by the instructor.
- All submitted papers will be graded according to the following criteria:
Evidence of Independent Study and Documentation in Relation to Meeting the Stated Objective
This research will contain an extensive literature review. This evaluates use of Library Resources and other sources. Use of theories, facts, principles, and ideas of experts pertinent to the topic with personal reaction to these are considered (e.g. agreement or disagreement, giving sound reason for or against). Thoughts, ideas, and concepts, etc. must be well documented, using authorities in the topic and using original sources.
2. Analysis, Originality of Thought, and Creativity
This shows originality in use of own ideas, analysis, and in use of facts, theories, and principles from the course discipline and other disciplines. This also develops and supports own ideas and displays independent thinking. There should be thorough consideration of pro and con sides with documentation.
3. Organization of Project Content/Material
The paper should be well arranged into appropriate categories and proceed in a logical manner (e.g. general to specific or specific to general, etc.) with a solid thesis statement, introduction, and corresponding conclusion.
4. Format, APA, Basic Mechanics, and Clarity
The paper should contain excellent expression of ideas. Language must be grammatically correct and ideas very clearly expressed. There must be consistent and appropriate use of APA format.
A good GRADUATE research paper contains the following as a minimum:
- Provides evidence of independent study and documentation in relation to meeting the stated objective. This includes excellent use of library and other sources to include use of theories, facts, principles, and ideas of experts pertinent to the topic with personal reactions to these (e.g., agreement or disagreement, giving sound reason for or against). Include thoughts, ideas and concepts, etc. that are well documented by using authorities and original sources.
- Provides analysis, originality of thought, and creativity. Analyze empirically whenever possible by utilizing a survey, data, interviews, etc. to demonstrate statistical significance. Accomplished by showing originality in use of your own ideas, analysis, by the use of facts, theories and principles from this course discipline and other disciplines. Develop and support your own ideas and display independent thinking. Display thorough consideration of pro and con sides with documentation.
- Provides organization of project content and material. The paper is well arranged into appropriate categories and proceeds in a logical manner (e.g. general to specific or specific to general, etc.). The research provides a solid thesis statement, introduction, and corresponding conclusion. Additionally, the paper follows or exceeds requirements or assignment parameters.
- The paper format is consistent with APA use and follows basic mechanics and clarity standards. This includes an excellent expression of ideas and the language is grammatically correct with ideas that are very clearly expressed.