TOYS / TELEVISION/FILM.
• Girls’ toys/television shows perpetuate stereotypes (mostly negative)
(i.e. reliance on others, over-emphasis on beauty, low intelligence)
• Boys’ toys/television shows perpetuate stereotypes (some positive some negative). (i.e. competition, heroism, physical strength)
• Compared to boys’ toys/television shows, girls’ toys/television shows perpetuate negative stereotypes. Compare/contrast
i.e. girls’ victimhood vs. boys’ heroism
• Bratz dolls perpetuate negative stereotypes for girls. Focus on ONE toy and multiple negative effects. (i.e. domesticity, sexualization, materialism)
• Barbie dolls perpetuate positive stereotypes for girls. Focus on ONE toy and multiple positive effects. i.e. physical fitness, career-oriented, no need for a man
• The Little Mermaid is a classic Disney film that perpetuates stereotypical gender roles (Focus on one television show or kids’ movie.
i.e. Ariel gives up family, ultra-thin beauty ideal, obsessive need for a man
Once you determine your focus (above), it will be much easier to organize your essay. We will outline in class, so try to nail down your focus, and it should be easy to draft an outline in class that will function as a solid roadmap for your essay.
T.S. 2: In addition to Barbie’s thinness, her materialism is another huge problem that contributes to young girls desire for “things.”
T.S. 3: Although Barbie’s blondeness and whiteness are not inherently negative traits, they do reflect a standard of beauty in our culture that not all girls can live up to.
WE ARE A LEADING RESEARCH FIRM OFFERING AFFORDABLE RESEARCH SERVICES TO STUDENTS ON ALL SUBJECTS. ORDER NOW AND GET YOUR PAPER IN AS LITTLE AS 3 HOURS!!