The King’s School
Industrial Arts Department
Assessment task number: One
Area of Study/Module: Energy Efficient Vehicles
Format: All answers are to be word processed using a suitable software package eg Word.
Submission will be electronic to your teacher via your class iLearn page or email.
Outcomes to be assessed:
4.1.2: Describes factors influencing design in the areas of study Built Environments, Products, and
Information and Communication.
4.2.2: Selects, analyses, presents and applies research and experimentation from a variety of sources.
4.4.1: Explains the impact of innovation and emerging technologies on society and the environment.
4.6.2: Identifies ethical, social, environmental and sustainability considerations.
As crude oil becomes scarcer it will become more expensive. The ever increasing cost of
oil per barrel mean Australians will pay over $1.80 per litre.
As the world’s oil resources decline we must develop different and more efficient ways of providing power
to our societies. Transport of people and goods is a major user of fuel and many companies are
developing vehicles that are far more efficient.
The best known of these vehicles and the most
successful so far is the Toyota Prius. This vehicle
is known as a hybrid car and uses both an internal
combustion engine (ICE) and an electric motor.
Toyota claims performance that compares well to
mid sized petrol cars and fuel economy of around
4.2 litres per 100 kms.
Year: 8 Course Name: Technology Mandatory
Due date for completion of task: 30th May, 2018
Assessment weighting: 20%
Investigate energy efficient vehicles.
1. Describe in detail how a hydrogen fuel cell works.
2. Discuss the benefits of diesel, gas, electric and hydrogen powered vehicles.
3. How is vehicle energy efficiency determined?
4. Rank the top 5 most energy efficient vehicles available for general purchase in Australia.
5. List all the hybrid vehicles available for general purchase in Australia.
6. Evaluate the performance and fuel economy of a hybrid vehicle against a similar sized and
similar performing petrol-only vehicle. You should include initial cost and running costs in
Some web references you may find useful:
Energy efficient cars:
All information sources must be acknowledged in a reference section at the end of your assignment. If you
need help with this use the following:
• Q1 Describe in detail how a hydrogen fuel cell works. 10 marks
• Q2 Discuss the benefits of diesel, gas, electric and hydrogen
• Q3 How is vehicle energy efficiency determined? 5 marks
• Q4 Rank the top 5 most energy efficient vehicles available for
general purchase in Australia. 5 marks
• Q5 List all the hybrid vehicles available for general purchase in
Australia. 5 marks
• Q6 Evaluation of the performance and fuel economy of a hybrid
vehicle against a similar sized and similar performing petrol only
vehicle. You should include initial cost and running costs in your
evaluation. Graphs would be appropriate
TOTAL 50 marks