Quote Position Paper Word Count: 1500 Total Points: 25 pts Step 1: Choose a quotation Step 2: Do you accept or reject quotation. Step 3: Support your position by developing 3 REASONS. Step 4: Secure that each reason is specific enough and can be supported with external research. Step 5: Outline paper Step 6: Use examples (personal are OK) and research from credible/reliable sources – a minimum of 5 APA in-text citations required. Step 7: APA Reference page Step 8: No Title Page necessary Introduction Attention (Draw the reader in by using factual statements, statistics, story, or vivid language) Thesis: Reveal your quotation and position Preview: Tell the reader how you will support your position by elucidating on the three reasons. Body: Reason number one Support Support Transition Reason Number two Support Support Transition Reasons Number three Support Support Conclusion: Review support
Choose a quote that would be more interesting:
- To succeed it is necessary to accept the world as it is and rise above it.
- Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
—Arthur C. Clarke
- We all learn by experience, but some of us have to go to summer school.
—Peter De Vries
- If you don’t run your life, somebody else will.
- It’s better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.
- Only the insecure strive for security.
- Truth is beautiful, no doubt. But so are lies.
—Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself.
- All change is not growth; as all movement is not forward.
- Our greatest glory is not in falling, but in rising every time we fall.
- Children have more need of models than critics.
- Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses.
- The day of the hero is past.
- Silence is better that speech.
- Force is all-conquering, but its victories are short-lived.
- Common sense is very uncommon.
- A hungry man is not a free man.
- Disappointment is the nurse of wisdom.
—Sir Boyle Roche
- Without discipline there is no life at all.
- Anxious mothers make unsure kids.
- Talent is what you possess; genius is what possesses you.
- The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
- Respect is what we owe, love is what we give.
—Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
- Politics is war without violence.
- Gray hair is a sign of age, not wisdom.
- There is no security on this earth; there is only opportunity.
- Nostalgia is a seductive liar.
- Society prepares the crime, the criminal commits it.
- Power backs up in the face of more power.
- The only cure for grief is action.
—G. H. Lewis
- If you have a lemon, make lemonade.
- In his private heart no man much respects himself.
- Raising kids is part joy, part guerilla warfare.
- An obstinate man does not hold opinions, they hold him.
- We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves.
- There is no heavier burden than great potential.
—C. M. Schultz
- A wise man will live as much within his wit as his income.
- It is because of men that women dislike one another.
- No man does anything from a single motive.
- A man who could not seduce men cannot save them either.
- We hear and apprehend only what we already half know.
- The flower in the vase still smiles, but no longer laughs.
- Few people can be happy unless they hate some other person, nation, or creed.
- The price of hating other humans is loving oneself less.
— Eldridge Cleaver
- A book is a mirror: if an ass peers into it, you can’t expect an apostle to look out.
- We have to change truth a little in order to remember it.
- We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.
—H. L. Mencken
- If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
—Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy Summers in Buffy the Vampire Slayer)