Brief Assignment Guidance
- You cannot use any journal articles we have used in the sessions .
- A number of students have asked if they can use international studies – yes so long as they are written in the English language.
- You must upload PDF files of the studies you have used – failure to do so will almost certainly result in failing the assignment.
- You must use one quantitative and one qualitative journal article.
- Work must be double line spaced
- If you do not make reference to research literature your work will be an immediate fail.
Start off by providing a brief introduction to the articles
- You might provide a very brief overview of the topic and what you will be doing i.e. carrying out a critique of two journal articles that focus on the topic of _______.
- You also need to demonstrate your understanding of what quant/qual research is and you must make reference to research literature.
You might then go on to consider your first article
- PUT THE FULL REFERENCE OF THE ARTICLE BUT THEN IN YOUR WORK IF YOU REFER TO THE ARTICLE YOU NEED ONLY PUT THE REFERENCE I.E. Chernin (2008).
- Consider the points you want to look at that relate to the research design.
- What you choose to consider will depend upon the article you have chosen but you might consider issues around
- The sample used
- Any perceived bias
- The appropriateness of the methods of data collection
- Any ethical issues
- The appropriateness of the findings/ how the findings are reported
Go on to consider your second article
Do similar to what you did with your first article.
As with all conclusions ‘tie up any loose ends’. Within this section you might make a brief comparison between the two articles you have chosen, perhaps highlighting strengths and weaknesses in both.