43180 Road and Transport Engineering Autumn 2018
Due mid night 24 May 2018 (electronic submission)
Geometric design of rural roads
Design of realignment between Bulga and Wongalee (based on assignment and plans originally prepared by Mr G Mortensen)
Design speed: 70 km/h
Terrain: typically clay with some localised sandstone
Horizontal curve radii: Curve 1 (chainage 60 to 200) 260 metres
Curve 2 (chainage 420 to 600) 240 metres
Curve 3 (chainage 870 to 1100) 230 metres
Drainage structures: Chainage 90 – 1 x 900 mm diameter pipe
Chainage 562 – 2 x 1200 mm diameter pipes
Chainage 1000 – 1 x 900 mm diameter pipe
Design standard: Austroads Guide to Road Design Part 3 -Geometric Design 2016 and the relevant Roads and Maritime Services NSW Supplements
Pavement width 7.0 m (2 x 3.5 m lanes)
Shoulder width 1.5 m
Verge 1m in fill (allowing for safety barrier)
2.0 m in cut (includes table drain)
Table drain 2.0 m wide, 1:4 slope
Batter slopes 1:1 in cut
2 (h): 1 (v) embankment
Maximum grade 7%
Minimum grade 1%
Maximum superelevation 7%
Minimum superelevation 3%
Crossfall on straights 3%
Chainage 470 isolated outcrop at surface
chainage 615-630 at surface
chainage 660-675 at 1 m depth
chainage 680-690 at 1 m depth
- Horizontal Design
- Design the superelevation required for the three horizontal curves.
- Design the plan transition and the shift (if needed) for the 230 metre curve (870-1100).
- Draw the cross sections at chainage 940, 980 and 1000 using the attached cross section sheet. On the cross sections how the dimensions of the lanes and shoulders.
- Vertical Design
- Use a spreadsheet to calculate a vertical alignment. On the spreadsheet show the grading, the vertical curves, the design levels.
- Your calculations should show the control points, the k values and show how the grades and the length of vertical curves meet the requirements for minimum k values. Note that the start and finish the design levels at the existing levels at chainages 00 and 1180. The attached spreadsheet shows the chainage and the levels of the natural surface. The attached PDF shows the plan of the road and the long section of the natural surface.
Your design needs to:
- Meet safety standards
- Minimise cost and volume of earthworks (however no calculations for earthworks are required).
- Approximately balance cut (excavation) and fill
- Be sympathetic to the terrain
- Marks will be deducted for sloppy, untidy and unprofessional work.
Students must prepare their own original designs. Identical grading designs are not submitted.